Daily Bible Verse

22 October 2007

One of the students at our house group, a sophomore boy, is a pretty tough kid to work with. Hes just not the type of guy that is realy incredibly sociable, or that opens up much at house group. One of his leaders from last year told me that the way to connect with him was just to play games with him. He said that last year, during their small group time, the two of them would walk around on a golf course near by and see who could find the most golf balls.

The way I;ve been spending time with him is playing fooseball before and after our house group time in the basement where we meet. Every week we wind up playing multiple games, making up different rules, and ways to play each time. Its a great time. I think Chicagoans really like their fooseball because, no joke, I think I have played more since I have been here than in my entire life prior to coming here.

Anyway, this student still doesnt talk too too much, but I have noticed during our games that he will ask me more questions about myself and about Texas and such. Yesterday during our small group time he said that his "high" for the week is that he has now been drug-free for about two and a half weeks, and, even though his friends still party and smoke pot, they have been suppoting him in his efforts to quit. I thought this was great that he revealed this to the group, and that he was open and vulnerable with it. It caught me off guard because I didnt even know that he was even doing drugs.

How ironic that his "high" for the week has been not getting high? Its so amazing that he is letting God guide him through all of this.

No comments: