Daily Bible Verse

17 November 2007

Ice Skating.

Last night I joined a few friends to go ice skating for one of their birthdays. When I got my skates, the guy asked, "Hockey, or figure skating?" I said to the guy, "come on, hockey of course, it makes me sound cooler". And it did.

Now, in texas we dont do much ice skating, if any, but having once or twice skated at Fiesta Texas when they had their rink, I figured I may be able to hold my own. Much to my surpsise, I wasn't all too terrible. In fact, I wasn't the worst person there at all. The only time I fell was when I was trying to skate backwards to show off to my friend jeremiah. I owe my ability to hold my own on the ice to a few movies I used to love to watch when I was younger:

1.The Cutting Edge: this movie is about an olympic hockey player that crosses paths with, and, if I remember right, eventually falls for a figure skater. Through a series of events he winds up picking up figure skating, and is not all that bad at it. Its one of those movies that makes you say, "move over scott hamilton, I'm on my way to the big times!"
2. Mighty Ducks 1, 2, 3: This movie, along with Home Alone, we my movies to watch when I stayed home sick. Or, when I "stayed home sick". My mom and I used to watch these all the time, though, she would always fall asleep during them. Anyway, I guess after watching these movies so much, I somehow figured out how to skate like them. One of the guys on the team in 2 and 3 was incredible fast, but didn't know how to stop. Through him trying to learn, I think I leanred, because I could hockey-stop like a machine (sort of).

This made me remember something from my childhood that I rarely, if ever, have shared with people. My sister and I, after watching the Cutting Edge, decided it'd be cool if, with our roller blades, we made up our own "figure ksating routine," and so we did in our garage. We were kind of cool. If was a quick routine, but it was a good one. And, for when I had my friends over, I had a hockey stick that my dad made me. He got the blade part at a sporting goods store, and made the handle himself. Nothing special, just a piece of wood, but I tell you, I loved that stick. With it, I used to shoot hard shots through a goal made of coffee cans. Dang, childhood memories. I like 'em.

Ice skating. Not too bad. I may have to do it again.

1 comment:

Mom said...

That is hilarious! Did you win the "gold"? I fell off my chair laughing, however your sister is going to kill you for printing that.