Daily Bible Verse

16 October 2007

w-w-w-w-w-w-wipeout....

My insurance policy that I have has a very low deductable. I think that is because I seem to be particularly prone to injury. This past Saturday night my small group leader Jeremiah (a 3 year intern), and I went longboarding at a golf course near where he lives. The thing is, 1) it was night time, and 2) some of the cart paths were a little steeper than others, being that this is also where they have snowboarding and skiing when there is snow on the ground.

Well, I'm no Tony Hawk or anything, but I usually feel pretty comfortable on a board. Not that I can do anything fancy, but I can atleast balance, and thats the biggest part. So, we find one hill that, no lie, intimidated me a slight bit. I wasn't trembling in fear or anything, but from the beginning I thought, "this may not go well".

Jeremiah goes down ahead of me, and I watch the route he takes, thinking, "pshh, I can do this..." So I tried, and about midway down the hill I start wobbling like crazy. And, while trying to straighten myself out, I overcompensated, the board flew out from under me, and I went tumbling down the hill. Not too far or hard, mind you, but when I finally stopped, laying on my stomach, I couldn't help but think, "there is no way that just happened."

There are certain reflexes your body does when you wipeout like that: run the tongue on the backs of your teeth- good, they're all there; wiggle your fingers- good, they're not broken, or missing; bend your knees, good- no torn acl (the most important one for me to check).

There is no moral of the story, but times like this, honestly, I really enjoy them. They make for good stories, and good laughs. Ahh. The life of an intern.

No comments: