Daily Bible Verse

19 June 2008

North South East West

I could never stand when people gave me directions, and instead of saying, "turn left," "go straight," or "turn towards the walmart" they would say things like, "east, 3 blocks," or, "the southwest side of blank and blank intersection."

Seriously, who knows directions by using N S E or W?

Well, since moving to the chicago area last summer, this is common to me now. I love it, its just how I do things now. When people say "right on Golf Road, I ask, so, east, or west? You see, theres a big body of water in Chicago. Lake Michigan. This is as far east as you can go. Then, there is everything outside of Chicago, which, the more you move WEST, the more cornfields and emptiness it seems you hit. So, I know directions as East (moving towards more things), and West (moving away from things. Then there's HWY 90. A big highway with a speed limit of 55, but if you drive anything slower then 70 people start cursing you and hating you. So, Anything above 90 is North, and anything below 90 is South. (Obviously, you are probably thinking to yourself). BUt then I know directions as north and south as "Closer to 90, and further from 90".

It all makes sense. Now, you may wonder, "why is he blogging about this?"

The answer: No idea. Other than I now can use nautical directions when telling people how to get places.

There you have it.

No comments: